Not everything is covered under the OHIP insurance plan!
List of services that have been de-listed or removed by the government OHIP plan.
Did you know, that the Government of Ontario has removed many items from the Schedule of Benefits, so that means many services are not covered by OHIP. These items have been removed over the years in order to save tax-payer money. If you medical doctor tells you that a certain service is non-OHIP, and that you have to pay (even though you may not have in the past), this is the reason why. If you feel they should be covered by the government, please contact your local MPP and speak with them. The following are a list of services that are not covered, and you may have to pay-out-of-pocket if you wish to receive these services from a medical doctor. If you have private insurance plans, you may be able to recover some costs.
- Travel medicine, travel vaccine advice
- Physiotherapy (reduced/removed over the years: 1990's, 2004, 2005, 2013)
- Other health providers: massage therapy, naturopaths, acupuncture, osteopath
- Eye exams and vision services by an optometrist
- Dental work by a dentist
- Ambulance rides
- Cosmetic services
- Earwax syringe (removed Oct 1, 2019)
- Urine pregnancy tests (removed Oct 1, 2019)
- Pre-operative assessments (removed Oct 1, 2019)
- Sinus x-rays (removed Oct 1, 2019)
- Cardiac HOLTER (removed Oct 1, 2019)
If you have private insurance, please speak with our Insurance Navigator (Bobby) 416.508.5691, Ext.112, who will help you determine what is covered under your insurance plans!